Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Getting Your Foot in the Door...

Many forensic nurses, or wanna-be forensic nurses, want the prestigious jobs to come their way at the drop of a hat. Just go to any forensic conference, and novices in forensic nursing dream out loud about starting their own businesses...hanging out their own shingles...before they've even obtained a modicum of education and experience.

Seasoned nurses also want the process to be easy, and many want to start making money as quickly as possible, and in some instances (for the very lucky) this dream becomes a reality.  However, for the vast majority of nurses, this does not happen.

How DO you, as a forensic nurse, break into the forensic field?  How do you start making any money at it?  The truth is that a forensic business usually requires tons of networking, making contacts and establishing a name for yourself along the way.  For many new to the business, getting the foot in the door comes with one simple word.  "Volunteer."

Many years ago, I attended a forensic conference in which Dr Marcella Fierro (forensic pathologist) was speaking.  I knew she was the Chief Medical Examiner at Richmond Virginia's Office of the Medical Examiner, and I'd always wanted to assist with autopsy.  I approached her after the lecture and told her how much I would like to tour the ME office in Richmond. She gave me her card and told me to come anytime. 

A few weeks later I took her up on the tour, and after we walked around the facility I asked her if I could perhaps volunteer at the morgue assisting with autopsy. I remember Dr Fierro looking me up and down, and asking me if I minded scrubbing floors and weighing bodies.  I emphatically answered that I would be happy to do whatever they needed, and before I knew it, I was assisting the autopsy assistants with scut work on weekends.  A couple of months later, one of the forensic pathologists asked an autopsy assistant to show me how to do the Y-incision on a body, and to let me assist them with the preliminary part of the autopsy...taking out the "block" (tongue, espophagus, lungs, heart...)  It was one of the most exciting days of my life.  I went from assisting the autopsy assistant to being the primary autopsy technician on a case, and I would ask the head autopsy technician for minor help when I got stuck or needed a fresh pair of eyes.

My point of this story is to reenforce that the "sweet" jobs don't usually come easy.  Sometimes, if you are in the right place at the right time, or if you know somebody in the business, a job falls into your lap. Most of the time you have to work for it. But if you are willing to start at the bottom and learn the ropes, in most cases, the work will begin to come your way and you'll be given more opportunities to work in the area you'd like to.  It also helps to be humble.  Confident, but humble.

I recently moved to Ventura California two years ago. I'd approached the medical examiner twice to volunteer for autopsy, but the ME never contacted me back...essentially (non-verbally) telling me he wasn't in the market for volunteers.  Just because I was unable to work with him didn't mean I stopped asking for volunteer work in other areas.  The Ventura Police Department has just asked me to submit an application for their volunteer program, where (after I'm trained) I'll assist with fingerprinting and other scut work, and the LA Coronor's Office has taken my volunteer application for autopsy assisting and so I may be able to volunteer there on weekends. My overall take-home story is that if you want to break into the forensic world and actually work within the system, you are often going to have to pay your blood, sweat and tears first.

Keep in mind that of all of the professions, forensics and forensic nursing typically pays the least.  Death Investigator saleries are anywhere from $25,000.00 to 48,000.00. Autopsy Technicians and/or Assistants have salaries ranging from $25,000.00 to $41,000.00.  Both positions can be extremely difficult to break into, and many people stay in these positions for years. Other roles, such as legal nurse consultant (LNC) and Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) are easier to break into, and often make better money, but the attrition rate is high because of the call hours and additional duties required such as testifying in court, etc.

Whatever route you choose to take, remember that for most professionals it requires a large degree of committment, tenacity and patience. If you are up to the challenge, and willing to donate a good chunk of your time in volunteer work, you may eventually get that foot in the door and find yourself working in a career that most people only get to watch on T.V.   You'll have to decide if the minimal pay, and (sometimes) health hazards are worth it, but if you are doing what you love then in most cases it certainly is. Best of luck on your forensic pathway, wherever it leads you...


*****

*Disclaimer: This blog is solely the opinions and experiences expressed by the author and in no way reflects the opinions, policies or beliefs of the U.S. Government, the DoD or United States Navy.

No comments:

Post a Comment